Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Few of the Thanksgiving Messages to Elder Shipley!


I'm so THANKFUL for YOU - Love you, MOM

Hi Daniel,
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I'm sure the empty place at the Shipley table made Mom and Dad shed a tear, but you are doing wonderful things where you are, and will have great memories of these 2 years.  When it's all over, you will be amazed at how fast it all passed.  I know your family is very proud of you.
We made it over to the Hunsakers a few weeks ago to celebrate Jack's blessing.  He is adorable!  It was hard to "give him back" to Kate when it was time to go.  Sam said I "hogged' the baby by holding him all the time! :)
We think of you often, and you are on my prayer list as well.  Stay safe and healthy.
Blessings,
Shirley Rogers
Dear Daniel,
It seems like yesterday you just turned 16 and here you are now many months into your mission serving the Lord.  Daniel, it is fun to see your pictures and read your updates--we are so proud of you and the choices you are making in your life--way to go!  We know that you are an awesome missionary--KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
Love,
The Busby Family
Daniel,
All those years in High School man were a blast ! Those nights over at your place really are enjoyable memories in my mind! It seems just like yesterday when Craig and I were knocking on your windows and calling you when you were home alone trying to freak you out baha! You almost shot Craig with a shotgun that night if I remember correctly lol. But truly dude I really appreciate the friendship we have shared over the years. I have often wondered how are fort is doing over in the desert behind your house... It has almost been 2 years since us and the gang have met up there. Once everyone can meet up in a couple years we should go back and check it out! But anyways Daniel, good luck with the rest of your mission bro! That is way exciting and I know you are truly serving them well down there. Keep up the good work and never give up and I am sure you will be LEGEND down in Guatemala!!                                                                                                                                                                    - Riley Busby

Happy Thanksgiving Daniel!!!! Sadly we don't get a video but I still wanted to tell you that we are so thankful for you! We love you so much and think of you every day! I talked to a missionary in my ward today who only has one month left! That will be you soon! He reminded me of you because he was so excited about his mission and it seemed that he has really made the most of his 2 years. I am going to have them over for dinner soon and want to pretend that I am feeding you and your companion :) Wish I could- I would have you guys over for dinner every night! Have a wonderful week!!!!









Dear Elder Shipley,
I hope you had a memorable Thanksgiving.  The Thanksgiving we celebrated on our mission in New Zealand was memorable because it wasn't like any Thanksgiving at home.  They had no turkeys in the food stores to buy.  We were advised not to buy one of the turkeys we saw running around because they were very skinny and very tough.  So we went to a restaurant and had a good meal (no turkey) and an interesting time.

You are sacrificing a number of things to be on your mission.  But you are gaining far more than you are sacrificing.  You are gaining skills and abilities that will help you your whole life, plus you are also gaining eternal blessings!
You are changing lives for the better.  It is so wonderful to watch a person's countenance change and then their life.  Nothing quite like it!
But that still isn't the end.  The ones you baptize and really get a grasp of the Gospel gain eternal blessings because of you!  Can't beat that either!  Even those that do not accept the Gospel when you are teaching them may be better prepared sometime during their life and will accept it, because started a change within them.  Our mission president said that every person we talk to will have their life changed for the better!  So you are going around spreading joy and  the wise or lucky or divinely motivated ones will pick it up from you.  More power to you!.
With our love and blessings,
             Uncle Ron and Aunt Bertie


Hi, Daniel,
Just a note to let you know I'm thinking about you. I know you probably had a very different Thanksgiving this year - one you'll always remember I'm sure. Being far from family isn't easy but it can also be a great time to remember all the good times so you appreciate the times together so much more. I look forward to reading about your experiences on the blog and also look forward to maybe seeing you in November!! We pray for your safety and success and wish only the best for you. Today was Michael Workman's farewell (he goes to Ivory Coast, Africa) and as I listened to his talk I was remembering your farewell, I am so in awe of you both and all the faithful young men and women who choose to serve you truly inspire me. I hope all is well with you,
Terry 

Hello Daniel,
I thought of you lots on Thanksgiving as I was thinking of everyone who is important and who might need a prayer.  You see we lost Jason’s Cousin Ben, Thanksgiving morning.  He was only 37.  He had struggles as a small child with a heart condition and a brain tumor.  All had been fine for years, until about 8 months ago when they discovered he had another tumor.  He has been fighting long and hard and at 9:30 am Thanksgiving morning Ben went to be with our heavenly father.  It makes me sad as I don’t know if he even knew our lord but I am in hopes that God saw this brave young man and his kind gentle heart.  Not a Birthday would go by that he would not call, including my girls who were “Step” Nieces.  He always bought gifts for all the kids at Christmas.  He had just for the first time in his life found love and had a girlfriend.  There will be so many of life’s adventures he will never know.  I pray he is in Gods arms.

So I was praying for all the people who are important to me.  And yes you were among them.  I check your blog weekly so I know what you’re up to…  I know your among great people, and God is with you…

God Bless and I talk with you soon!
Hugs
Ann Hughes

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Daniel,
    Just a note to let you know I'm thinking about you. I know you probably had a very different Thanksgiving this year - one you'll always remember I'm sure. Being far from family isn't easy but it can also be a great time to remember all the good times so you appreciate the times together so much more. I look forward to reading about your experiences on the blog and also look forward to maybe seeing you in November!! We pray for your safety and success and wish only the best for you. Today was Michael Workman's farewell (he goes to Ivory Coast, Africa) and as I listened to his talk I was remembering your farewell, I am so in awe of you both and all the faithful young men and women who choose to serve you truly inspire me. I hope all is well with you,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving Daniel!!!! Sadly we don't get a video but I still wanted to tell you that we are so thankful for you! We love you so much and think of you every day! I talked to a missionary in my ward today who only has one month left! That will be you soon! He reminded me of you because he was so excited about his mission and it seemed that he has really made the most of his 2 years. I am going to have them over for dinner soon and want to pretend that I am feeding you and your companion :) Wish I could- I would have you guys over for dinner every night! Have a wonderful week!!!!

    ReplyDelete